This recipe was supplied for the 1999 Members Recipe by Phill Turner. The competition was won by Doug Hopkinson.
Batch Size 23l; OG 1056; FG 1012/14
Mash – at 67/68° C
Dark Munich Malt 4kg Lager Malt 1kg Caramunich 350g Caramalt/Carapils 300g Chocolate Malt 30g
Boil – 90 minutes
Styrian Goldings (3.4 AAU) 25g start Tettnang (3 AAU) 60g last 60 mins Tettnang 20g last 20 mins Irish Moss last 15 mins Tettnang 20g turnoff
Yeast 2206 Bavarian or a neutral lager yeast.
- Infusion mash at 67/68° C or preferably a stepped infusion/decoction at 50°C and 67/68°C using liquor suitable for dark malts.
- Sparge with liquor at 77/80°C.
- Boil for 90 minutes using the above hop schedule or with other hops with equivalent AAU’s (e.g.Hallertau).
- Cool and aerate the wort.
- Add as large an active yeast starter as possible (e.g. 2 litres) and ferment at 9-12° C for a clean flavour.
The image is by Stephen Rees and is used under a Creative Commons license.